Display problems with second/subsequent xterm instances

I've been using cygwin for some months. I have a problem with second
and subsequent xterms, which display rather than act on terminal
control codes setting colour information. This appears to have broken
with a cygwin X upgrade, but I can't be certain.

The first xterm created with startx from console is black window,
yellow text, green user name, matching the cygwin console, works as
you would expect.

Subsequent xterms launched from the first xterm (I can't launch xterms
from the console window even after setting DISPLAY correctly and
telling xhost localhost has permission -- odd) display the
character codes instead:

\[\033]0;\w\007
\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
\[\033]0;\w\007
\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]

They're definitely xterms - ctrl right-click gets me the VT Fonts menu
(other clicks are intercepted by too-smart-by-half windows links.)

I've not set up any special profiles or startup scripts in cygwin.
Any ideas?

thanks,

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>