Re: Having XP and KDE desktops togather

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Vinod Gupta wrote:

> Thanks Igor and Alexander. "run XWin -nodecoration" works fine
> for me. I think this should be the default in the startxwin
> script included in the Cygwin/Xfree86 distro.

No. The default is aimed at users who want to use Cygwin/X as xserver
for running local applications (like gv, xemacs) only and provides
very close integration into the windows desktop. Using a remote desktop
is far more experienced and will require tweaking the startup scripts.

> "-internalwm" would be useful, particularly accross slow connections.
>
> I saw some discussion about porting KDE to Windows.

See kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net

> Having an alternative desktop on Windows might be interesting
> but I am happy with XP desktop for local Windows and KDE Desktop
> for remote linux server, both on my laptop. This gives me the best
> of both worlds.

The kde-replaces-windows-desktop project can be considered dead. I've
not seen a message about this for about a year.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de