Re: Packaged X Server for easy use

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:43:33AM -0500, Joseph Miller wrote:
>Hello X Cygwin project.  I got tired of the only option to use an X
>Server on Windows to be either use the X-Win32 trial (like i would pay
>$200+ for that!) or install the full cygwin environment.

You don't have to install the "full cygwin environment".  The setup.exe
installer allows you to install or not install whatever you please.

>So what I did was take out the binaries required to run the X Server
>(along with ssh and rsh) and put a Windows GUI interface to it, then
>packaged it with an installer so that the average user could download
>and use it.  Please check it out at
>http://www.calcmaster.net/visual-c++/xwinlogon/ and let me know what
>you guys think.  My next step is to rebuild the binaries from the
>sources, allow for installation along side of Cygwin without
>interference, and add -mwindows to remove the cmd.exe box that comes up
>with each window.

Actually you may want to consider that your next step should be setting
up a mailing list to discuss your package.  We don't want to clutter
this mailing list with discussion of random other packages that don't
have anything to do with the intended purpose of this mailing list.

And, for all of the people with fingers poised to fire off a "I want
hear about this interesting package" response to this message -- please
don't bother.  You'll have to live with the fact that I am meanly not
allowing this off-topic discussion.

cgf