From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com]
On Behalf Of Maarten Boekhold
Sent: 02 December 2004 07:50
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Xfce for cygwin

David Fraser wrote:
> Mark Fisher wrote:
>
>> I've just ported xfce4.2 to cygwin, and start it like this:
>>
> Fantastic! Are the patches included in the CVS, are their any particular
> build instructions?
> I'm on the xfce dev list but I didn't see anything about this ...

The patches are in CVS (I was the one who committed them), and there are
specific built instructions.

You need to get libdbh and libstartup-notification yourself, and I'm
using the attached script to build XFCE. Haven't tried this in some time
though due to work load, so I can't guarantee everything still works
out-of-the-box. And oh yeah, you need a very recent version of libtool.

As I just wrote to Mark:

"Anyways, you do know that there is a couple of things that do not work
in XFCE for cygwin, right? For one, panel plugins are not fully
functional (just try to change the icon size in the panel and see what
happens). Also, xffm doesn't work, neither is xfprint (I've never really
tried this though), and xfce4-mixer.

The problem with the panel plugins and xffm is that XFCE is coded such
that the plugins must access variables in the loading program, and
MS-Windows (and therefore cygwin) doesn't allow this. I've had some
discussion with Jasper from the XFCE team about this, and we were
thinking of a complete rewrite of the XFCE plugin system. However, this
will have to wait until the 4.2 release, and I'm completely swamped in
work at the moment..."

Maarten