Re: Starting X on a second monitor - kludge that works

Howdy...

At 05:38 PM 12/1/2004 +0000, Mark Fisher wrote:
I've been trawling the archives looking for a solution to the
problem of starting Xwin on a second monitor.
The only way I've been able to get this to work is to
use a program that allows you to send the app to a 2nd monitor.
The program in question is UltraMon.
If your second monitor is a different size to your primary, then
no fear, just specify the size of the screen when starting x.
I've just ported xfce4.2 to cygwin, and start it like this:
bash --login -c "/opt/xfce4/bin/startxfce4 -- -nodecoration -screen 0 1280
1024"

I'm not familiar with xfce, but why not just add a "-position x y" option to XWin.exe such that when present and in a root-window mode it'll move the created window to whatever screen you want (via the absolute Windoze X/Y position)? That's all the UltraMon app is doing...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com
 cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
 http://www.cdrlabel.com