Re: 1,440 symbolic links

Dick Repasky schrieb:

The tree /etc/X11/xserver contains 720 symbolic links. The vast majority of of them are locale specific and point to the directory /etc/X11/xserver/C. The only thing in /etc/X11/xserver/C is a tree called
print.

The tree /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver seems to be identical to /etc/X11/xserver.

My question is: can I get rid of all those symbolic links? The reason that I ask is that I'm using Fergus' instructions for building a CD from which cygwin can be run (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01117.html). Because ISO-9660 file system does not support symbolic links, the technique for handling them is to create copies of everything that is symbolically linked.

You got that wrong. the above cited msg is right.

ISO-9660 does understand cygwin .lnk files (which are symlinks), just the +S attribute has to be fixed. See Step 5 in

For /etc/X11/xserver that means about 998 MB of disk on an ntfs file system with a respectable blocking factor. /usr/X11R6/lib/xserver also takes up that much space. My hope is that X has a respectable default, something like if localization file can't be read, use /etc/X11/xserver/C (or /usr/X11R6/lib/xserver/C). Or, maybe /etc/X11/xserver/C/print really is for printing (the tree seems to contain printer specs), and if I don't want to print, I can get rid of it all.

I've tried poking around at X.org, but can't seem to find documenation tha's appropriate. I'd be grateful for any of the following:

  - simple answer such as "delete with impunity - it doesn't matter"
  - point me to appropriate documentation
  - point me to appropriate sections of the source code.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

--
Let each man exercise the art he knows. (Aristophanes, Wasps, 422 B.C.)