Re: Upgrading from xfree to xorg, any major issues?

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 07:28:18PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>
> > Chris Green wrote:
> >
> > > Some time soon I'm going to have to upgrade my present Cygwin/X
> > > installation which is mostly 4.3.0.x Xfree to the latest Xorg
> > > versions.
> > >
> > > How painless is this likely to be?  I run Cygwin/X on a Win2k machine
> > > and use it to display my Slackware Linux desktop using xdm.
> >
> > There should be only minor issues. XF86Config is not compiled in anymore.
> > Lot's of bugfixes...
> >
> > But actually xorg 6.7.0 was just the next evolution of xfree 4.3.0 and
> > fits in the old release tree
> >
> > xf 4.2
> > xf 4.3
> > xorg 6.7.0
> > xorg 6.8.0
> > xorg 6.8.1
> >
> > So there should not be any big problems
>
> Here's one major PITA: xterm has moved from /usr/X11R6/bin to /usr/bin.
> If you have any scripts, batch files, or shortcuts that hardcode
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm, you'll need to either change them to use
> /usr/bin/xterm, or add a symlink in /usr/X11R6/bin to /usr/bin/xterm.
> 	Igor

Thanks both, it sounds like it should be reasonably painless then. I
don't have many (any?) scripts or anything that will be affected by
the xterm move as my major use for Cygwin/X is as an X server for my
Linux desktop on my Win2k machine.

We're getting broadband this week hopefully so I'll probably wait for
that before doing the big download/upgrade.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence."