Re: Cygwin/X and loggin on remote server

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Jani Tiainen wrote:

> Jani Tiainen wrote:
> > I've used cygwin/x to use remote wm and tools for a long time, and I use
> > connection via SSH tunnel since connection between machines are not
> > secured.
> >
> > Now I would like to provide more generic way to login on remote machine,
> > I can do this with startxwin.bat but I want to close initial _local_
> > xterm used to get login & password prompt after it has fired up
> > session... How can be this done...?
>
> Well let's narrow down this problem...

I've tried your batch file and I was even able to start a whole remote gnome
desktop and the initial xterm disappeared.

> Now what happens? Initial, local xterm window is shown and I enter
> mypasswd. This far things work well.
>
> Then I have found out two different end situations depending on exit and
> contents in .xsession :
>
> I endup having initial login screen as empty, but sticking on desktop
> and everything is working
>
> Whole SSH tunnel disappeares and I'm left with empty X root.

If for some reason the remote program exits, the whole ssh session will
exit.

ssh -Y remotehost "xterm"

will start a remote xterm and forward all X11 via the tunnel

ssh -Y remotehost "xterm &"

will start a remote xterm, put it in the background and ssh will exit,
leaving the xterm without a working server

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de