Re: Appl that uses Compositor extension crashes XWin

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running X.Org 6.8.1 with the compositor extension enabled
> (+extension Compositor). I compiled the CVS version of xfwm4 (the
> windows manager of XFCE, http://www.xfce.org) with compositor support.
> However, every time I start xfwm4, the X-Server crashes immediately.

See release announcement for xorg-x11-xwin-6.8.0.
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2004-09/msg00000.html

- Composite is not working
  you can enable it with XWin +extension Composite but it will most likely
  crash. (You would not get accelerated transparency anyway)

> can't find any log to research what's happening, and nothing is shown on
> the stdout of XWin.

in xc/programs/Xserver/miext/shadow/shadow.c (shadowDamageRegion) is an call
to abort(). This will just exit and will not tell you why.

> Can anybody suggest how to research *why* this crashes? I'd like to see
> it fixed :)

Why is quite difficult. I've not been able to track this down and had no
time for an discussion with those from xorg who have built the composite
extension for some help.

Somehow the buffers are not as they should be. A good starting point could
be the xdarwin code. They managed to get Composite running. Maybe it's just
a missing initialization. I don't know.

bye
	ago
--