Remote logon via XDMCP to Solaris and Linux

I have installed Cygwin/X on Windows2000 to establish a remote session via XDMCP and by using a direct query to a Solaris7/CDE host and to a Linux/SJDS/Gnome host (Sun Java Desktop System R2 based on SLD/SLES8).
The Windows PC use DHCP via ISP/ADSL (that is no fixed IP to set up).
I have disabled the local Zone alarm firewall on Windows, and run a VPN client software locally to connect to/through the remote, corporate firewall router and network using NAT.

The Cygwin/X server can be stared locally on Windows using 'startxwin.bat' and also its local X clients like xterm and others can be started. I have enabled XDMPC on the remote SJDS host side.
Pinging from Windows to the Solaris and JDS hosts also works ok.

But when I try to start Cygwin/X from a 'DOS-prompt' using the following alternative commands:

> XWin -query remote_host
> XWin -query remote_host -from local_current_IP
> XWin -query remote_host -fp tcp/remote_host:7100 -from local_current_IP

only the grey, empty X root window is displayed and no dtlogin or gdm login is displayed. It looks like no X connection is established, and after a timeout the X root window is being quitted.

As shown below, the XWin log file reports at the bottom:
"Fatal server error: XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 13 failed for display xxx.xxx.x.xx:0: Cannot open display"

I wonder if this can be caused by some X server, host access or user authentization problem? When Cygwin/X is tested locally with 'D:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat', then it is possible to enter 'xhost +'. But I don't know how to combine this with starting X and query gdm login or dtlogin, if it is not possible to put in 'xhost +' in a file? I have not yet created or configured any user authorization file yet.

Below is a copy of the content from my D:/cygwin/tmp/XWin.log file IP removed).

1) I hope that someone knows this X connection problem and also can add the steps or tip to try further?

2) An additonal question: 'xstartxwin.bat' open a small X window with small fonts. How and where is it possible to get larger fonts, possibly by using a configuration file for this startup?

3) And how to setup/get the national language (NO) keymap (æøå and ÆØÅ keys enter nothing)?

Regards,
Terje J. Hanssen
-------------------------

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.7.0.0-9

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

xwin -query gamma -fp tcp/gamma:7100 -from xxx.xxx.x.xx

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 24 bits per pixel
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000414" (00000414)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "Norwegian" (414), type "4"
Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "no" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 637 482

Fatal server error:
XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 13 failed for display xxx.xxx.x.xx:0: Cannot open display

winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress