Re: cygwin/x: x starts, but does nothing

On 22 Jul, ?man wrote:
>  I installed cygwin with all the packages. I made a batch file called "xwin.bat"
>  that runs xwin located in my home dir, so that I dont have to navigate to the
>  file every time.
>
>  Here is the content of "xwin.bat":
>
>  ------------------------------
>
>  @echo off
>
>  chdir C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin
>
>  startxwin
>
>  ------------------------------
>
>  Here is the cygwin shell log i took:
>
>  ------------------------------
>
>  Ryan@EMACHINE ~
>
>  $ xwin
>
>  Welcome to the XWin X Server
>
>  Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
>
>  Release: 6.7.0.0-12
>
>  Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
>
>  winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024
>
>  winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
>
>  _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
>
>  XWin was started with the following command line:
>
>  xwin
>

>  What happens is X starts, but does nothing. The mouse remains the "X" cursor,
>  and the background remains the black and white checker pattern. The only
>  thing I can do is close it from the Windows close button, and it confirms
>  exiting.
>
>  Since the only error I see that is not totally disregarded in the FAQ/User
>  manuals online is "Could not init font path element
>  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!", I tried following the
>  instructions to reinstall the fonts in the FAQ. However, I still get this
>  error.
>
>  I navigated in windows explorer to the C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts
>  directory, but no \CIV directory exists. However, there are about 9 other
>  directories, some containing other fonts.
>
>  I want to know if this is the problem, or if I am doing something else wrong,
>  such as a missing command line parameter needed to do anything.
>  Thank you for your time.

You're not running any X applications.  Try this in an rxvt or Cygwin
window:

	export DISPLAY=":0.0"
	rxvt &

You might want to run a window manager too:

	twm &

Running XWin is just running the X11 server.  It would be like just
running /usr/X11R6/bin/X under Linux.

I don't think it's the same as my problem at all (that I'm about to
report).  The "cisraxwin.sh" (coming in later email) shows the kind of
thing you can wrap around the call to xwin.exe.  It's a much simpler
script than startx.

luke