Re: X starting difficulties

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:

> I just sat down with a colleague here who has never previously been able
> to run X on his XP laptop.  I got it working, but *only* by doing this:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -multiwindow &
>
> - nothing else that I could think of could start X.
>
> (The laptops here typically have ZoneAlarm installed, but I don't think
> it's implicated this time since I was able to get X to work, as above.)

As long as it comes the problems with communication between X11 components
(this applies to the interal windowmanager too) we have seen a lot of
problems with ZoneAlarm.

>     winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
>     winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
>     winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
>     winClipboardProc - Call to select () failed: -1.  Bailing.

this is a network operation

>     winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
>
>     winMultiWindowWMIOErrorHandler!
>
>     winInitMultiWindowWM - Caught IO Error.  Exiting.

results from a network operation.

As long as those errors appear together with a ZoneAlarm installation I'm going to
blame ZoneAlarm to mess with the winsock layer and break things.

> Also, we couldn't start any X applications from the Cygwin menu items
> via the Windows Start bar; apparently /usr/X11R6/bin isn't in the path,
> so none of the commands were found.

I'll check this.

bye
	ago