Re: Recent X installation oddity

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:

> In the last couple of days, we've done several cygwin fresh installs
> and updates.  In every case we get the X problem "Cannot find font:
> fixed", afterwards.
>
> In every case, the directory C:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts exists,
> it contains the directory misc, that directory contains hundreds of
> files, yet we get the error message.
>
> And, as per the FAQ, we then have to umount /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts,
> re-run setup, select all the X fonts, and choose reinstall.  This is
> both on absolutely fresh machines (Windows XP just installed), and on
> an update to an older Cygwin system. (Which may have had the same
> problem before running setup again, admittedly.)
>
> Any idea what's wrong?  It used to be that X normally worked after an
> install.  Now it seems to fail with this problem each time.

I'm not absolutely sure. I suspect the fonts are installed but are
written with broken line endings. after the postinstall script the
is the fonts directory is in binary mode and a reinstall writes the
fonts correctly.

> I'm planning to automate (as far as I can), the FAQ fixup, in our local
> post-install script.
>
> (Unfortunately, I don't think I can drive setup.exe from the command
> line to reinstall the fonts directly, can I?  Are there files I could
> remove from the install afterwards, so that a second run of setup could
> be done that would find that the X fonts were gone and proceed to
> install them?)
>
> Also, I was wondering why /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts is mounted anyway?
> Since / is mounted, you can reach it using that same path.  If it was
> so that you could remount it elsewhere if you wanted to, because you
> didn't have the space to hold 40MB (heh: tiny, these days!), then you
> could do the mount then ...

The fonts must be on a binary mount. Otherwise the fonts.scale can not be
read by the xserver. So the postinstall script mounts that directory in
binmode regardless how / is mounted.

bye
	ago
--