Re: -mwextwm works but -multiwindow does not

Bob,

Bob White wrote:

I am running the latest version of Cygwin/X on a Windows 2000 machine.  I
launch it from a cygwin shell as follows:

export DISPLAY=:4
Xwin :4 -multiwindow &

I then ssh to my remote linux box and launch kde.  I find that this gives a
multitude of errors such as:

"MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support" and
"X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3"

Then, when I try to open almost any kde application, the app fails to appear
(almost always) and gives the following error:
"KLauncher could not be reached via DCOP".

But when I use the -mwextwm switch instead of -multiwindow... no problems.

No, you are not supposed to be using -mwextwm nor -multiwindow. Both of these parameters are intended to be used with a Windows-based window manager; -multiwindow starts this window manager automatically while -mwextwm relies on you to manually launch "xwinwm" (available in the xwinwm package for Cygwin) and since you are probably not launching xwinwm you are not having problems with trying to run two window managers in that case.

You need to be using either -rootless or -nodecoration (try each and decide which you like).

You may also be having a little trouble if you are using Cygwin's OpenSSH with "ssh -X", in that case you need to switch to "ssh -Y". More information on that here (see A1):

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding