Re: Problem with truetype fonts caused by not building FreeType module?

Lev,

Lev S Bishop wrote:
Harold wrote:

Now you are getting somewhere... the implication of "BuildFreeType NO" is that you are going to use the installed version since we set
"HasFreeType YES", but this does not appear to be the case. We'll either
have to fix the build rules or just set BuildFreeType to YES but not
actually include it in our distribution, just as we do for Xft.

I think you have the wrong idea about FreeType backend. My understanding is that this is one of the modules which implement server-side truetype (the other being X-TrueType, the "xtt" module - only one of the two is allowed, and X-TrueType is scheduled for demolition in the next release). It's built *around* the FreeType library (which is what we say we have by asserting "HasFreeType YES"...) but it's not the same thing as having the library. I think all we need to do is set BuildFreeType to yes

Hmm... I was thinking we were setting BuildFreetype to NO and BuildFontconfig to NO in cygwin.cf to prevent these already installed libraries from being compiled, when in fact we were not doing so. You are correct that no longer including xorg.cf (or xfree86.cf) caused the default for BuildFreetype and BuildFontconfig to flip from YES to NO and you are correct that these signal if programs should link against these libraries. There are separate flags call BuildFreetype2Library and BuildFontconfigLibrary that we need to set to NO to prevent just the library from being built, but those should actually pickup the correct defaults from X11.tmpl since we set HasFreetype2 and HasFontconfig to YES.

- the resulting module gets statically linked into libXfont.a (rather than being a loadable module, as it would be in many other X servers, since we don't do loadable modules on cygwin/x), and from there gets linked into XWin.exe and xfs.exe (I understand xfs.exe is currently non-functional, though), and perhaps some other places?

Regarding the static linking, that is not correct. I had noticed recently that XWin.exe was no longer linked to cygfreetype-6.dll (do a 'cygcheck XWin.exe' to find out what DLLs are being linked to) and was wondering what happened.

I could be wrong about all this but the release notes seem to back me up:
http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/RELNOTES6.html#41

No, you're not wrong, you helped me find the correct flags we need to set and you helped find the reason why the defaults for some of these flags has changed. Yay, now I can do a complete rebuild. :)