Re: test case for clipboard hang?

Harold: Yes, I did reboot. I've rebooted again and found a variety of
peculiar clipboard related behaviours that are somewhat tricky to
reproduce reliably (just using xterm and notepad here). Simply doing the
procedure I descibed before, immediately after a reboot, doesn't work the
way I described, it works the way you described. However, after the
reboot, after a bit of playing around with clipboard stuff during which
time various odd things happen, it seems to settle down into a state where
the previous procedure works the way I described. Some of the things I've
observed before it settles down are: not being able to paste windows->X;
xterm hanging for a few seconds, apparently until I select text in
windows and copy to clipboard in windows; xterm not responding to
pastes for quite a while but then later doing all the pastes it
should have done earlier; etc. I haven't been able to reproduce any of
these behaviours in a reliable way.

However, I've repeated the following procedure 3 times and it worked the
same each time -- probably not a minimal test case but it shows the
problem. I have to follow the steps precisely in order, though:

1) Reboot
2) start a fresh xwin, xterm, notepad, and put some text in the xterm and
notepad
3) select, ^C copy from notepad, middle-click in xterm. it pastes
successfully
4) select in xterm, leave the text reverse-videoed
5) ^V paste into notepad (successfully)
6) drop the selection in xterm (by left clicking somewhere)
7) ^V paste into notepad (successfully, even though the selection is
dropped)
8) select a different piece of text in xterm.
9) drop the selection in xterm
10) ^V paste into notepad: it hangs for a few seconds and doesn't paste.
(The paste menu option is NOT greyed out at this point).

I hope this is now reproducible for you. Let me know if there's any other
info you need, or anything you want me to try doing.

Lev