windowed mode seemingly unavailable

I am currently unable to determine how to open a single x-server window (with multiple x-terms inside), as opposed to the multiple window mode. I would like to operate inside the single window for performance reasons, and have done so in the past on a similar Win XP install with Cygwin/X. My understanding is that the window behavior that I am describing is the default:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/configure-cygwin-xfree-options.html

The command I use to launch multiple-window mode is xwin -multiwindow. The command I have used successfully on a separate installation to launch single window mode is simply startx. However, on this computer, it appears to simply bring up an xterm (black window with x icon in upper left corner and yellow scrollbar) rather than the server window (white background with x icon in upper left corner and green scrollbars, not sure on exact terminology).

With both systems, the only customization steps that I have performed (to my best recollection) are adding the xfree86-base and openssh packages. This is so that I can open remote apps.

If anyone can point me in the right path, it would be very gratefully appreciated. I have spent several hours searching myself with google and in the list archives with very little useful information turned up.

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms ? all in one place at MSN Money! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp