Re: Could not open default font 'fixed'

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >>I don't understand, please explain.
> >>Harold
> >
> > Harold,
> >
> > First, all the postinstall scripts for XFree86-fnts, XFree86-f100,
> > XFree86-fscl, XFree86-fcyr, and XFree86-fenc are the same -- that's the
> > "any one of..." part.
>
> Right.
>
> > Secondly, umount is already part of these scripts, and there should be no
> > need to reinstall the package just to re-run the postinstall script, hence
> > my suggestion (to just re-run the script from the command line).  Of
> > course, if any of the font files are corrupt then reinstallation *is*
> > needed.
>
> Sure, umount is part of those scripts, but I want my instructions to
> work in all possible cases.  I could think of some weird instances where
> someone had removed the postinstall scripts.  In any case, I don't want
> to depend on those scripts being there.
>
> The second part of your answer indicates that you don't fully understand
> the problem.  See, it goes like this:
>
> 1) You have an invalid mount point in the registry that points to
> nowhere for /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.
>
> 2) You have setup.exe install the fonts packages.
>
> 3) setup.exe extracts the fonts packages according to the mount points,
> thus extracting the fonts packages to *nowhere*.
>
> 4) You do not actually have the files from the fonts packages on your
> system.
>
> 5) You have to kill the invalid mount point, then resinstall the fonts
> packages in order to actually get the files.
>
> Weird, eh?
> Harold

Eek.  You're absolutely right -- I didn't think of this...  However, there
still should be no need for a "umount" in the instructions, as executing
the postinstall scripts during the first install should have pointed the
mount to the right place already.  A simple reinstallation of the fonts
packages should suffice.
	Igor
P.S. Unless explicitly deleted by some program or by the user, the scripts
will be there.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu