XWin Xserver maximum root area exceeded?

Hello,
Thank you very much for your answer.
I am sorry I think I left out too many details when describing my problem.
The application I am running is proprietory but I do have the code and I
actually changed the code to get as far as I am with this (it is a part of
an Energy Management system and I am using its console interface code to
display the status of of the high voltage grid on a display wall .. these
are special pictures with symbols for generators/switches/lines etc).

I do not think that my application cannot handle a root area of 12800x2048
(or 6400x2048 which is the minimum I need) but suspect that cygwin/X cannot.
My reasoning for this is that the application runs without error with the X
server WinaXe6.7 (for which I have a special version that can handle a
12800x2048 root area sent to me from LabF.com). The problem with WinaXe is
that it uses a lot more CPU time than cygwin/X, when I compare them (using
of course the root area in which both work).  Because of this I would really
like to use the cygwin X server but cannot, because of the problem I
encountered.

I will have a look at Xnest to see whether I get any further.

I am using a Windows2000 workstation with special Display driver code (this
is code from the company which also builds the projectors) and I am not
really sure that Windows2000 "knows" that it has 20 monitors I tried the
multimonitor option just in case it helps but it does not appear to.

Any ideas?

A friend recommended using xmon to find out more of what is happening.
Do you have experience with xmon?

What happened to the option emulatepseudo ?
My X application uses Pseudo colours and in order to get the cgywin Xserver
to work I had to set the number of colours to 256 for my display definition
on the PC
(very ugly when wanting to run other applications).

Brigitte

Hello,
I am still struggling with this. Find attached the Xwin log file.
I am using a root area of 6400x2048
I am getting this error in my X application:

BadWindow (invalid Windowparameter) Mayor Op Code of failed request:
20(X_GetProperty)

And the picture I want to display never comes up.
It works with a smaller root area of 2560x2048 4 1280x1024 projectors
arranged in 2 rows.

Yes, it sounds like your remote application has a problem trying to draw to
a window that is larger than a certain size. That is, it has not problem
with 2560x2048, but it just won't work with widths greater than some amount.

Assuming your application respects the standard "-geometry
WIDTHxHEIGHT+X_OFFSET+Y_OFFSET", then you should be able to run a test with
your twenty monitors (or whatever the full number was) with a window size
restricted like the following:

my_app_name -geometry 2560x2048+0+0

If it runs, then try bumping the width value until you figure out that it
has a problem; if it eventually has a problem, then you have found a bug or
limitation in your application that will have to be fixed, there is nothing
we can do to fix this for you.

If your application does not run, then it is because it does not like the
size of the root window being too large; this means that once you have a
display area larger than a certain amount then the application will fail to
run. You could always run it within an "Xnest" server that was restricted to
a specified size, but this would not help you get it working on 20 monitors.

I hope that helps. Is the application that you are using open source or
closed source? If it is open source, then perhaps we could take a peek at
it; if it is closed source there is nothing we can do. :)

What does the multiplemonitors option do?

It tells XWin.exe to use the space on all monitors instead of just on the
primary monitor. In other words, without -multiplemonitors you can only
display applications on the primary monitor.

Harold