Re: XWin -clipboard and xterm focus

Peter Wisnovsky wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harold L Hunt II"
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: XWin -clipboard and xterm focus -#- MailID:8WBA

Peter,

You need to do a general update of Cygwin by rerunning Cygwin's
setup.exe and letting it upgrade updated packages.

Doh! I've been running update pretty often, but using a mirror that seems
completely out of date, "cygwin.mirrors.pair.com". Using ftp.nas.nasa.gov
seems to have much fresher stuff...I'll try that, thanks!

Yup, that mirror was culled from the mirror list some time ago. There is a script that removes out of date mirrors, but it wasn't working for several months in the recent past; we figured this out and it was since fixed. However, setup.exe will keep your list of last used mirrors, regardless of whether they are in the mirror list or not. It does this not as a feature, but more as a side effect of the feature that allows you to point setup.exe to your own mirrors. It appears that setup.exe does not distinguish between "mirror that was on mirror list and no longer is" and "user-added mirror that is not on mirror list". Obviously, the latter sort should never be removed from the list automatically, while the former should be removed so that users do not inadvertantly keep using a stale mirror. Of course, I will wait patiently until someone else feels motivated to implment this.