Re: multimonitor question

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Takuma Murakami wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Please utilize the -geometry option as Igor says.
>
> Perhaps you are placing your monitors like the following
> figure (fixed-width fonts are assumed).
>
> +-----------+--------------+
> |           |              |
> |           |              |
> |           |              |
> +-----------+              |
> |           |  monitor B   |
> |           |              |
> | monitor A |              |
> |           |              |
> +-----------+--------------+
>
> Cygwin/X maps the top-left corner of the whole virtual screen
> to (0, 0) on which new windows are to be placed.  As long as
> you specify -multimonitors in those situations, you should
> accept this result and make use of -display option.  Of course
> proposals of better ways of mapping would be appreciated.
>
> The true problem is that no matter if -multimonitors is
> specified or not, some code assume the top-left corner of
> the whole virtual screen is (0, 0).  Therefore users will
> accidentally lose their new windows though they are willing
> to use only the primary monitor.
>
> Takuma Murakami

Takuma,

Not having looked at the code, I may be asking something naïve, but
isn't the following layout also possible?

+-----------+--------------+
|           |              |
|           |              |
| monitor A |              |
|           |  monitor B   |
|           |              |

And if it is (and I can think of others, too), shouldn't the choice of
layout be configurable somehow?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/