Re: Multi-window problems on remote clients

Jim Scheef wrote:
Hello,

Wow, I actually get an opprotunity to contribute!

I use Xdmcp with -multiwindow and it works fine. You just need to use the
Xnest client/server to provide a 'window' for the remote machine. The
command...

$ Xnest :1 -query <host>

gets it going.

Jim,

Heh heh... while this is true, it is a less than ideal way to do things. In fact, you can do this with XWin.exe just fine:

REM Start a local server with multi-window on display 0
XWin :0 -multiwindow -clipboard

REM Start an Xdmcp session on display 1
XWin :1 -query <host> -clipboard -nodecoration -lesspointer

That gives you two independent instances of XWin and it doesn't use Xnest, which will improve performance and the behavior of the Xdmcp session (Xnest is known to have a few quirks where things don't work quite right, such as the screen sometimes blanking then redrawing).

Let me know if that fits your needs. I should probably add a few examples of how Xdmcp can be used to the User's Guide and this is one that I would add if it is useful.