Re: different resolutions on different monitors

Howdy...

At 06:10 PM 2/11/2004 -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Chad Haynes wrote:
> I am using 2 monitors, one with 1280x1024 and the other with 1024x768.
> When I start the X server using the -multiwindow option then start an
> app (such as xterm) the application always opens in the top corner of
> the smaller monitor at a point where the top of the window is off the
> screen.  I can't get to the title bar to move the window so in order to
> see everything I have to tile or cascade the windows which is a pain.
This could be a bug in the -multiplemonitors implementation.  Please post
the exact command you use to invoke XWin.exe.

Actually, I think it's a feature. Chad's got a non-rectangular Windows desktop: (Bad ASCII alert!) xxxxx x=monitor 1 1024x768 yyyyxxxxx y=monitor 2 1280x1024 yyyyxxxxx

What the rootless is doing is getting the max desktop extents from Windoze,
which gives (1024+1280)x1024.  That becomes a window whose origin (0,0) is
off-screen, so when the current WM makes a new window (always @ X coord 0,0)
the upper bits of it are gone.  The alternative is to take the min extents,
but then you wouldn't be able to move a window around freely on the bigger
monitor...

Does Xinerama allow non-rectangular root windows?  Maybe there's something
in there to look at?

> Is there some way to set the default location on the screen the windows
> open?
As a temporary workaround, look into the "-geometry" option that any X app
should support ('PAGER="less -p GEOMETRY" man X' should do it).

Also, you can right-click on the X term window label in the taskbar, select "Move", then *before touching the mouse* hit any arrow key. Then move the mouse and the window will follow...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com
 cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
 http://www.cdrlabel.com