Re: Problem connecting to Solaris 8 systems using Xwin

Martin,

It just occurred to me that you never (and you only posted one message that I can see) stated what version of XFree86-xserv you had installed.

From a Cygwin bash shell, run the following command and send the reported version to the mailing list:

cygcheck -c XFree86-xserv

Harold

Martin McNelis wrote:
Hi,

I've googled and searched the archives for a fix for this and although I've
seen many people with the same problem I have yet to see a solution that
works.

When connecting to a Solaris * system with the usual:
xwin -query $solarisbox

It hangs at the Egg Timer. Black screen, white egg timer.

If I use:
xwin -query $solarisbox -fp tcp/$solarisbox:7100

I get the following:
$ xwin -query snail -fp tcp/snail:7100
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:

Error:            Can't find file "pc/uk" for symbols include
                 Exiting
                 Abandoning symbols file "default"

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:

Error:            Can't find file "pc/uk" for symbols include
                 Exiting
                 Abandoning symbols file "default"

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server Segmentation fault (core dumped)

and the screen flashes three times as it attempts to load the next screen
then fails.

This works perfectly with Solaris 2.6 boxes.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin