Clipboard Status 2004/01/06

I have thoroughly reworked the clipboard startup and shutdown system now. I have been discussing my XDMCP problems with Keith Packard (he wrote most of XDM and XDMCP); I have been learning a lot about how XDM initializes itself and why our clipboard client was being killed at various stages.

Each time that I prevent our clipboard client from being killed at one stage, I expose another stage where it gets killed :)

I believe I am down to the final stage of our clipboard client getting killed. I have a design in mind to prevent this final kill, but I have to get some sleep, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I can tell you that I now have a *much* more thorough understanding of how Xlib, X Clients, XDM, XDMCP, and the X Server all work. I no longer have any doubts about which function needs to be called before another function (e.g. XInitThreads, XSetIOErrorHandler, etc.). I have seen and fixed about a half dozen bugs in the clipboard handling code that each could account for various crash reports that we have received for both the clipboard code and the multi-window window manager code. The startup process for both systems left many race-condition holes that would occasionally cause problems (thus the non-reproducible error reports). I have closed any such holes that I have found.

Once again... I ask that everyone be patient and wait for the next release of the clipboard handling code. I think it is going to impress a lot of you. :-)