rxvt comes up with lots of escape sequences visible

When I start an rxvt window on my cygwin X display (a local win2k rxvt
client that is) it has lots of visible escape sequences, e.g.:-

    \[\033]0;\w\007
    \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]

Presumably these should be interpreted somehow by rxvt and not
displayed.  What am I doing wrong?

The window works otherwise, it redisplays the above after every
command though.

I've not done anything apart from installing rxvt (by using
startup.exe) and then running rxvt.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)