Re: Possible to use clipboard with remote/xdm connection?

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Chris Green wrote:

> But if I run xhost in that session I will be setting xhost permissions
> on the Linux Slackware system which is most definitely not what is
> required.

No. It sets the permissions of the __xserver__ to which the session belongs.

Try it!

linux$ echo $DISPLAY
win2k.local.net:0.0
linux$ xhost 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 being added to access control list
linux$ xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:localhost
linux$ DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 xhost
xhost:  unable to open display "127.0.0.1:0.0"

win2k$ DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0 xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:win2k

> It seems very odd that xhost requires access to the local display in
> order to work as you need xhost to set permission to acces the local
> display - sort of catch 22.

Same with the gates of a castle. To get in, you must open it from inside.
This is the main principle of security. You can not allow those who have
no access to change the permissions.

bye
	ago
--