Re: DDD 3.3.8 (i686-pc-cygwin) gets `Segmentation fault WAS Re: c ompiling DDD

Richard Campbell wrote:

The problem is not with Cygwin's LessTif... the problem is in how DDD is detecting LessTif on Cygwin. It must be assuming that the file name for the import library with be of the format foo.a whereas the name is of the format foo.dll.a on Cygwin.

This would be detection inside the actual execution, then? The link step is libtoolized and ends up being:

g++ -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -W -Wall -trigraphs -o ddd.exe ddd.o basename.o
compare.o cook.o cwd.o glob.o <snip many more *.o files>
UndoBuffer.o UndoBE.o WhatNextCB.o configinfo.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib
.libs/libimp-cygXm-2.a -lXft -lXrender .libs/libimp-cygfontconfig-1.a
.libs/libimp-cygfreetype-6.a -lz .libs/libimp-cygexpat-0.a -lXaw -lXmu -lXt
-lXpm -lXp -lXext -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lncurses -ly ../libiberty/libiberty.a
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib

Which looks sorta automagic for the dlls, right?

I'm not an expert (or even a user of DDD), but it wouldn't be the first time if I saw something detected incorrectly in configure (picking Motif versus LessTif), followed by a clean compile, followed by a crash on execution.

Remember, Motif and LessTif are supposed to have the same interface, so code written for either should compile and link against the other, but the code may not work (segfault). So, I would suspect that DDD's configure is detecting Motif (or assuming Motif by default), compiling some conditional segments for Motif instead of for LessTif (introducing buggy code), followed by linking with LessTif (leading to a crash when the code that works with Motif but not LessTif is run).

Again, this is speculation, but that is where I would be looking at the moment.