AW: problems with refresh rate of Xwin at win2000prof

Hi Harald,

  thank your for your answers,

> The repainting might be slow for the two following reasons:
>
> 1) You have a video card that has a problem with its
> DirectDraw driver (e.g. ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 DV).
> Try using "-engine 1" to use the GDI driver and see if
> it is much faster.  If it is, then you will have all sorts of
> fun testing the various drivers for your video card to see
> which one fixes the DirectDraw bug.  Note that "-engine 4" is not
> required because the DirectDraw engine is the default engine if
> DirectDraw is supported by your system.  You will only need
> "-engine 1" to force XWin.exe to use the GDI engine instead
> of the DirectDraw engine.

  I've tried, the difference was a bit towards slowdown
  under "engine 1".

> 2) You have network latency issues.  Sure, 100BaseT, yada
> yada yada, but if you have not tried another X Server on
> Windows then you have nothing
> to compare the performance of XWin.exe to and we cannot tell if your
> network is part of the problem or not.

  Well, symbol echoing is quite fast, so I could live with that.

  Just wondering: is there any utility for estimating
  fps-performance for repainting abilities of X servers
  itselves?..

  I mean, clients might be quite powerfull, but Xserver
  machine + network might introduce a slowdown, so it would be
  logical to have a simple tool revealing this issue.

kind regards,
Valery A.Khamenya
Bioinformatics Department
BioVisioN AG, Hannover