Re: Cygwin XFree86 startx Problem

Hi,

Don't know if I am answering to the right question/ problem, but I see some referrals to passwd, username etc. To get to login to a Unix box with X you can use the following script, after starting X and getting into the xterm box of your local machine:

> xhost +<host> > /dev/null
> export IPADDR=`ipconfig | grep Address | grep "10\." | cut -f 2 -d ":" | cut -f 2 -d " "`
> rsh <host> -l ${USERNAME} "export DISPLAY=\"${IPADDR}:0.0\";cd $HOME; xterm"

Use a modified startxwin.bat like:

> start XWin -multiwindow
> xterm -T "your app initialisation screen" -e <startscript above>

Note that the bash shell copies the MS-Windows environment to it as you start it. That's the referral to ${USERNAME}. We have the same usernames for the MS-Windows environment as well as the Unix box logging in to. You can fill out your username on the remote Unix box as needed.

The string Address is what grep looks for in the output of ipconfig. Maybe different in your locale. Check ipconfig output in your bash box.

10\. is part of our IP-address range in the Unix/ Windows network. It's useful to scan your IP adresses when you have more than 1 NIC or more than 1 IP-address.

In case you have a $HOME on the remote machine with spaces in it try cd \"${HOME}\" in the script.

Regards, Hans.

Igor Pechtchanski escribió:
Robert,

Sorry, but no.  Cygwin doesn't care about the Windows username, it looks
in /etc/passwd.  If you change the name of the Windows account, you'd have
to regenerate the appropriate entry in /etc/passwd anyway, so why not just
eliminate the middle step and change /etc/passwd directly?  Simply remove
the spaces from the username and the home directory in /etc/passwd (and
make sure you rename the directory itself), and it should be fine.
	Igor