Slow performance over VPN/cable modem

XP Pro SP1, Pentium 2.66 GHz, 1 GB memory.

I am running the latest cygwin including XFree86 4.3.0.

Performance connecting to my workplace via VPN over cable modem is painfully slow, similar to what I used to see running X over dialup years ago. I'm running a local window manager fvwm2 then "ssh -X" to hosts at work via my local xterms.

The app I'm most interested in is Veritas NetBackup 4.5 jnbSA, which is written in Java and not exactly speedy even at work, but at work we are talking a couple of seconds to refresh the screen, versus nearly a minute for the tiniest changes at home.

My Internet connection in general is very fast, on the order of 2 Mb/sec, and I get excellent response over my VPN to work using vanilla text apps and MS Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm quite sure this in an X issue. Wasn't MIT supposed to be working on "low-bandwidth X" years ago?

Three years ago I had the good fortune to be able to use Graphon's Go-Global to channel X over dialup and was VERY impressed.

More recently I played a little bit with VNC and it seemed to have its own performance issues so I have no pursued it further at this time, but I'll consider it if you recommend it.

--Bruce (Bruce Hamilton, Redondo Beach, CA)
bhami@pobox.com
http://bhami.com/