Re: Keyboard autorepeat settings [Was: Updated: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-22]

"Harold L Hunt II" <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote in message
> Jack Tanner wrote:
>
> > Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> >
> >> If this is the case I can add code to use the windows default
> >> autorepeat settings to configure Xwin. But this will again change
the
> >> old behavior
> >> of Xwin and some users might be unhappy with it.
> >

> > It would be consistent with other behavior to get autorepeat
settings
> > from Windows, not from X settings. For example, we try to use the
> > Windows language settings, right?
>
> Sort of... it isn't quite that cut and dried.
>
> Besides, we have been using *both* X autorepeat and Windows autorepeat

> until recently.  This was not a good solution.
>
> > Since Xwin is a Windows application, there's little reason for it to

> > have its own autorepeat configuration.
>
> It might be nice, but the Windows autorepeat caused problems with
> systems running in Japanese... so they need the XKB autorepeat
> functionality, since the Windows autorepeat needs to be disabled for
them.

> So, we can't just remove XKB support or disable it permanently... it
is
> required by some non-U.S. users.

It seems to me that what is being asked for is that XKB support is kept
but its default configuration (delay, repeat rate, etc.) is whatever
Windows is currently set to.  I think this makes very good since - if I
really want a repeat rate different for X applications I can configure
it, otherwise it should be the same as it is on all my other Windows
apps.

>From the above comments it looks like Alexander understood this but
Harold thought everyone was asking to remove XKB support and go back to
using Windows autorepeat.  Forgive me if I misread you, Harold.

> It may seems like we are being indecisive here... but there are really
> lot of concerns that need to be considered in order to get a correct
> solution.
>
> Harold

Cary