Re: wmaker TIFF (actually libtiff4) problem

I have tried to fix the wmaker problem but get stuck
since I don't know how to debug DLLs...

> So there are a number of differences between cygtiff3 and cygtiff4.  I
> tend to suspect the jpeg changes -- are "some TIFF images" which fail to
> load all jpeg-compressed, while the ones that succeed are not, perhaps?

Although I don't know much about TIFF files, I ran
tiffinfo on two systems.  The target TIFF file is
/usr/X11R6/share/WINGs/Images.tiff in cygwin
WindowMaker distribution.

On the problematic cygwin (WindowMaker-0.80.2-1,
tiff-3.6.0-5) the output is:
TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, /usr/X11R6/share/WINGs/Images.tiff: unknown field wi
th tag 317 (0x13d) encountered.
TIFF Directory at offset 0x449c
  Image Width: 128 Image Length: 128
  Resolution: 72, 72 pixels/inch
  Bits/Sample: 8
  Compression Scheme: LZW
  Photometric Interpretation: RGB color
  Extra Samples: 1<assoc-alpha>
  FillOrder: lsb-to-msb
  Document Name: "/usr/src/Applications/windowmaker/WindowMaker/WINGs/Resources/
Images.tiff"
  Image Description: "Created with The GIMP"
  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
  Samples/Pixel: 4
  Rows/Strip: 16
  Planar Configuration: single image plane

On a FreeBSD 4.8 system, the output is:
TIFF Directory at offset 0x449c
  Image Width: 128 Image Length: 128
  Resolution: 72, 72 pixels/inch
  Bits/Sample: 8
  Compression Scheme: LZW
  Photometric Interpretation: RGB color
  Extra Samples: 1<assoc-alpha>
  FillOrder: lsb-to-msb
  Document Name: "/usr/src/Applications/windowmaker/WindowMaker/WINGs/Resources/Images.tiff"
  Image Description: "Created with The GIMP"
  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
  Samples/Pixel: 4
  Rows/Strip: 16
  Planar Configuration: single image plane
  Predictor: horizontal differencing 2 (0x2)

The differences are the warning and the last line.

The 'Compression Scheme' field indicates LZW.
Is this relevant to the problem?

Takuma Murakami (murakami@ipl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp)