Re: XWin works on Win2K but not on some WinXP clients

Kirk,

Woellert, Kirk D. wrote:

Ok, so you want me to do the following:

telinit 3
gdm -debug 10 -nodaemon
W2K attempt login
WinXP attempt login

telinit 3
kdm -debug 10 -nodaemon
W2K attempt login
WinXP attempt login

Yes, that is correct.

However, you should probably just reboot the machine, log in as root, and run "ps -a | grep gdm" and "ps -a | grep kdm" That will answer the question as to which *dm is being used. Then you only need to perform one of the above tests.

What log files and where should I go to examine the results of these two
tests? The same etc/X11/gdm folder?

Depends on the above answer to which *dm is being used. Lets get that figured out first.

BTW, does it help to tell you guys that the linux box is very likely running
GNOME? If you can assume that how do we proceed?

Either *dm can login to KDE or Gnome... so knowing that most users use Gnome doesn't really help :)