Re: XWin works on Win2K but not on some WinXP clients

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Woellert, Kirk D. wrote:

> We are not running NAT. All firewalls are turned off completely (linux and
> Win). We are all on the same network segment, and all have the same IP scope
> (i.e. 137.x.x.x).
>
> I tried to get debug running as requested but, as a new linux user its not
> straightforward to figure out how to stop kdm/gdm/xdm or whatever RH9 uses,
> and restart it again. I looked at the post you cited and searched the net
> also. "/etc/init.d/xdm stop" returns command not found. I tried several
> iterations but no avail. So finally I did "xdm -debug 10 -no daemon", got a
> fatal server error, did some grep's and here is the followoing:

maybe /etc/init.d./gdm stop

In RedHat systems xdm/kdm/gdm is started by init (as configured in /etc/inittab) so the only way to stop it is by switching to runlevel 3 -
/sbin/init 3

> [debug]
> # This will enable debugging into the syslog, usually not neccessary
> # and it creates a LOT of spew of random stuff to the syslog. However it
> # can be useful in determining when something is going very wrong.
> Enable=false

Set this to true. Most likely gdm will create a logfile in
/var/log/gdm

 > XFree86.log.1
 > [kdw@gaia log]# cd gdm
 > [kdw@gaia gdm]# ls
 > :0.log  :0.log.1  :0.log.2  :0.log.3  :0.log.4
 > [kdw@gaia gdm]# cat :0.log

These are all logfiles for the local xserver and do not contain
information for your problem.

 > [kdw@gaia log]# cat kdm.log
 >
 > Fatal server error:
 > Server is already active for display 0
 >         If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
 >         and start again.

This is a normal error. There was already a xserver running on display
0 (started by gdm) and kdm tried to start another which failed.

bye
        ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de