Re: Default Mouse Pointer is Wrong

Cary Jamison wrote:

"Ricky Boone" <whiplash@planetfurry.com> wrote in message
news:<1068044377.32617.1.camel@whiplash.planetfurry.com>...

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 09:37, Yadin Y. Goldschmidt wrote:

Colin Harrison suggested long time ago to add the following line to

the end

of your startxwin.bat file:
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr -fg white -bg black
This will change the default mouse from an x to a white arrow.

Ah ha, that did the trick. My apologies, I didn't even notice the suggestion when I searched for it. -.-;;

Thanks for the help. :)

I've noticed this too, but haven't complained about it.  I didn't
realize the problem was specific to the -multiwindow window manager.

This isn't a problem. It is "the way it works".

If this is true, than -multiwindow is not behaving as expected nor as
other window managers behave wrt default cursors.  The xsetroot is a
work-around, but it seems to me this should be regarded as a bug in the
window manager.  The 'X' should be the default cursor when over the root
window but an arrow when over an application window.  Since -multiwindow
doesn't really have a visible root window, it seems like permanently
changing the default cursor to a pointer would be a good/quick solution.

Fine. Run 'twm' as your window manager. Doesn't it do the same exact thing? That is the way that I have been reading the emails... if that is not the case, then could somebody please describe this better.?

The solution you propose is not trivial. That is why this is "the way it works" and not a bug. I'm sure that upon further inspection you would figure out that trying to change this policy would result in the creation of a mouse-cursor over-riding policy that is a lot more complicated than what you think it would be. I'm pretty sure that it would be complicated enough that it isn't worth looking into. Of course, feel free to code me into submission.