Re: http://lesstif.sourceforge.net/INSTALL.html#compile_Windows

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Brian Ford wrote:
> > Um..., great!  But..., I wasn't *just* trying to get a shared build, or
> > *just* trying to fix mwm's Close bug.  At least with your new static lib
> > build (lesstif-0.93.91-2), none of our apps work anymore.  They all die
> > with error messages like I quoted below.
>
> The -2 build was borked.  I linked the static versions of the libs
> against the shared version of Xt, this is why it fails to work properly.
>   I got confused during the packaging and forgot to switch the libs to
> shared.

IIRC, you first rebuilt lesstif without removing --disable-shared, then
you remembered and tried a rebuild with --enable-shared.  But I think you
didn't supply all the correct linker flags and got unresolved symbols.  So
you gave in temporarily and shipped the resulting static libs because mwm
worked for you with them?

Thus, I thought you expected those static libs to work, at least until we
fixed the shared build issue.

> The new -3 build uses shared libs and everything should be fine again.
>
> > Any chance you/Nicholas did something to fix these too?  Any chance of
> > previewing that package to see if it WFU (that would be "Works For Us")
> > :)?
>
> Yes, see above.

Good, that's all I wanted to know.  I'm content to wait for the release
now that I know there's a good chance it will fix my problem.  I was just
trying to debug something I didn't think was fixed before the next
release.

> As for a WFU, I don't want to publish Nicholas's package address, but I
> have uploaded the binary and source packages here:
>
> http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/cygwin/lesstif/lesstif-0.93.91-3.tar.bz2
> (3.1 MiB)
> http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/cygwin/lesstif/lesstif-0.93.91-3-src.tar.bz2
> (2.98 MiB)

Thanks.  I guess I'll test them anyway since you have kindly posted them.
It's the least I can do.

> I am almost done with a rebuild of the source package on my machine.  I
> will post the packages afterwards if the build completes.

Ok.

> > BTW, I still can't reproduct the Close bug because I still can't get mwm
> > to let me move a window, or pop up a menu from the title bar.  This is
> > strange because it happens to me with stock lesstif/XFree86 on both NT4
> > and XP.  I guess nobody else see this?
>
> Hmm... I still can't reproduce the problem of not being able to move a
> window.  You have tried running with both "-rootless" and without any
> flags at all right (which would run in windowed mode.  You aren't using
> -multiwindow when testing mwm, right?  That might cause the sort of
> problem you are describing.

I didn't try "-rootless".  Just:

Xwin.exe& ; mwm&

from a bash prompt.