Re: Generic rootless

Kensuke,

Okay, I got it to build and run. It is very nice.

What you think about renaming old '-rootless'to '-oldrootless' and calling the new '-win32rootless' just '-rootess'?

-win32rootless is going to cause a lot of trouble for people to remember, and most people will get confused about the distinction between -rootless and -win32rootless. Is there any reason to suspect that the old '-oldrootless' will remain in use after the new '-rootless' is available? It would seem to me that we might even want to just replace the original rootless functionality with the new functionality that uses the shared code.

Anybody have some input on this?

Harold

Kensuke Matsuzaki wrote:

Harold,

I did a quick build test of the generic rootless code. hw/xwin builds fine, but nothing is getting built in miext/rootless, nor has rootless extension been added to the XWin.exe link command (so there are unresolved references to rootless* symbols). I am guessing that you had to modify Xserver/Imakefile or config/cf/cygwin.*, but forgot to send a diff for those. Could you send that diff please?

Sorry. I forgot it.

Is the next step in this to pull the multi-window window manager back out of XWin.exe and make it a stand-alone executable, like XDarwin? Or, is our current setup with the integrated multi-window wm the best solution?

If possible, stand-alone executable seems better. I read OroborOSX source some month ago. But I didn't know MacOS API so I couldn't understand it. But I felt it is implemented Aqua like skin. Their site say new v0.9 have many new features. I will read it. I want someone who is familiar with XDarwin to comment.

By the way, Greg Parker's xroot.c is very useful when I use rootless mode. http://sealiesoftware.com/

Kensuke Matsuzaki