Re: Tight loop in Xwin startup under Win2k

Jeff,

Jeffrey C Honig wrote:
Jeffrey C Honig <jch@honig.net> wrote:

I'm using Windows 2000 on a Dell C-600 laptop.

After upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5 I've stared having my X startup go into
a tight loop.  This loop is so tight that I can not get the attention of
the task manager or really do anything else except power-cycle the
system.  I've tried running a Cygwin bash shell w/o X and can not get
any response out of that either.

I guess I need to clarify.

If I start a Cygwin bash shell and run top to see what is going on, it
hangs when I start Xwin.

The loop happens about 80% of the time.

I'm not sure if it is Xfree86 related or not.  Considering that I can
kill Xwin (CTL-ALT-Backspace, or right clicking the system tray icon)
and the problem does not clear up it is probably more of a cygwin issue
than an xfree issue.  I plan to post there also.

As to why I use .xinitrc and not startxwin.bat. I'm sharing my configuration with multiple Unix machines. It's a bunch easier to copy files around than try to do the same thing in both a .xinitrc and a DOS BAT file.

Okay, well, my main point was: use startxwin.bat. Try it after a reboot and see if the problem happens. I would hate to spend time debugging a problem caused by your .xinitrc. I know that startxwin.bat doesn't cause that sort of problem, so please try it and report your results.