Re: Tight loop in Xwin startup under Win2k

Jeff,

Jeffrey C Honig wrote:

I'm using Windows 2000 on a Dell C-600 laptop.

After upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5 I've stared having my X startup go into
a tight loop.  This loop is so tight that I can not get the attention of
the task manager or really do anything else except power-cycle the
system.  I've tried running a Cygwin bash shell w/o X and can not get
any response out of that either.

Wait wait wait... are you saying that after a reboot you can run *only* a Cygwin bash shell and get this behavior? If so, your problem is a general Cygwin problem and you need to write to the Cygwin mailing list.

I'm using a derivative of the .xinitrc that I use on Linux and BSD which
starts fvwm2 a xterms with tcshs and an emacs and a bunch of programs to
figure out what to start and where.  I've pretty much disabled starting
of any remote programs.

Anyone have any ideas here?

I think the advice would be to not use .xinitrc and instead try startxwin.bat. If there are no problems with startxwin.bat, then the problem is probably with your .xinitrc.