Re: AW: Enabling SHM support in default build of XWin.exe

Ralf Habacker wrote:

... if linked to the static ipc-library. Using the cygipc dll results in an
additional runtime dependency, which will produce windows runtime linking
errors if the cygipc package isn't installed, which will produce more
support noise dealing with this issue. Using the static library avoids this
problem.

I think that you *should* use the DLL. And add cygipc to the setup.hint requires: of XFree86. Not because I think that everyone should or will 'turn on' the daemon, but because:

you can't use libtool to make a DLL that has static dependencies (without heroic effort).

Now, I know that XFree86 does not use libtool, but maybe I want to build gtk or something that (a) does, and (b) links to XFree86 libs. Since, in this scenario, the XFree86 libs will have a link time dependency on libcygipc.a -- I won't be able to build a DLL version of gtk (without heroic effort).

What's the "support issue" you're worried about, Ralf? One more requires: library? When Harold is busy spinning out expat, fontconfig, and freetype -- what's one more?

--
Chuck