Error:Can't open display:

I have been trying to get ddd working and I think my problem is with x,
however I am not sure.  When I try to run ddd I get the following error.
Error:Can't open display:
So I tried numerous things and I finally think I got X running (because I
saw an X in my icon bar.)
when I double clicked the default startxwin.bat.  So I looked in the file
and found out that it tries to open an xterm.  I don't ever get an xterm.  2
boxes flash to the screen and I see the X icon in my lower right icon bar.
Could someone suggest something please?  Even when I have the X icon
running, I get the same message from trying to run ddd.  I tried to 'set
DISPLAY=0:0.0' in a bash shell and then rerun ddd but I still get the same
error. Although I run env and I don't see DISPLAY as an environment
variable.

I have bash2.05, cygwin 1.5.3-1, and XFree86-base 4.3.0-1.  In addition,
when I run cygcheck -c the line for XFree86-base says that the version
4.3.0-1 is Incomplete.  I have reinstalled all of the Xfree things from the
cywin installation today without much luck in changing the status of the
XFree86-base line in cygcheck.

Please help!

Thank You!

Lucy Garcia