Re: display remote X client on cygwin machine's display?

thanks andrew, that worked great, even if i don't quite understand it. i do get "warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding." when I ssh -X over to the linux box, but X clients display on localhost no problem. This all seems fairly simple, so what doc did I fail to read? I swear i went through the cygwin docs, yet still came up clueless. I guess i was used to remote X clients displaying on localhost when running my linux laptop, but i also guess i never understood how that worked either.

     yours,
     cyggie stardust

   Sender: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
   Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:30:49 -0700
   From: Andrew Clarke <spam@clarke.ca>

   Check out the "Running remote programs locally" thread where I asked
   this question and it was answered very thoroughly.

   Short answer:

   1. Run xwin.exe.  I like to run xwin.exe -multiwindow personally but
   that's up to you.
   2. From your shell prompt, ensure that your DISPLAY environment variable
   is set to localhost:0.0, 127.0.0.1:0, or whatever flavour of that you
   prefer.
   3. ssh -X yourlinuxcomputer
   4. go crazy with all your favourite X-based apps ;-)

   - Andrew.