To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
Sent: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:58:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Xwin remote calls to Solaris machines/ font server bug

Dr.D.J.Picton wrote: I have two observations to make concerning the use of 'XWin -query' to Solaris machines.

1. Firstly, the FAQ states that Solaris can't cope with 24-bit colour depths. This may have been true for older releases, but all recent versions of Solaris (and recent Sun hardware) support this depth!

2. The FAQ refers to the 'hang' when you attempt to contact a remote Solaris host using XWin -query e.g.

Xwin -query sunhost

The cure is to specify a Solaris font server on the command line, e.g.

XWin -query sunhost -fp tcp/sunhost:7100

However, this shouldn't be necessary for recent Solaris releases. The XSetup script on the Sun machine automatically adds the font server to the font path, before the dtlogin window appears.

Okay, so people running newer versions of Solaris won't look at the FAQ. No problem there.

The real reason for the problem is a bug in XWin, which 'hangs' if I try to mix local fonts with a Solaris font server.

The following procedures work OK:

1. Start up an XWin server with normal local fonts, then replace them with a Solaris font server: xset fp= tcp/sunhost:7100

2. Start up an Xwin server with -fp tcp/sunhost:7100 on the command line.

3. Add a second Solaris font server when the fontpath already contains one.

The following procedures cause a 'hang':

1. Start up an XWin server with normal local fonts, then append a Solaris font server:

xset fp+ tcp/sunhost:7100

2. Start up an XWin server with -fp tcp/sunhost:7100 on the command line, then try to append a local font to the path:

xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc

I am inclined to believe you. However, I do not have a Solaris machine that I can test
this with. It would be most helpful if either yourself or someone with a similar setup
could build a debug version of XWin.exe and step through this until they find the hang.

Thanks,