blue screen death when starting X

Hi
I wanted a UNIX environment in WinXP, so I downloaded Cygwin, full package. In order to run Emacs in a window of my own, I was recommended to start a program "usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh". Unfortunately, this results in a blue-screen-of-death; the immediate shutdown of the system. Is this a bug (..in cygwin)?

Even though I run RedHat, I am quite new to Linux/Unix, so I am afraid I need detailed help if possible. What I want to accomplish is as follows:

Run Emacs in a interactive window (where I can use mouse on the 'file', 'edit'.. -menus) This I could not with the emacs started in the cygwin terminal window (GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit))

Write Fortran programs in Emacs, with the color-aid provided in i.e RedHat. Example: writing "integer i" will colorcode keyword "integer", and also variable 'i'.

Compile this to a UNIX excecutable program.

Finally; Is there a message board, or some kind of discussion forum that I can visit, and search for additional help?

Thank you very much Jens

Last ned nye MSN Messenger 6.0 gratis http://www.msn.no/computing/messenger - Den raskeste veien mellom deg og dine venner