Re: request for new feature

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:58:06PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:22:33PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>>>Depends on if we use Cygwin's fork or Window's CreateProcess.  We
>>>haven't made that decision yet.
>>
>>Huh.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.  It's a cygwin program so why not
>>use fork/exec?  Then Xwin will be able to use 'wait()' to wait for
>>processes.  It will be able to set a process group and kill all
>>programs in the process group, etc.
>
>We have discussed this before.  I want to minimize the dependencies on
>Cygwin because I intend to eventually introduce a version that compiles
>without it, based on the work that Suhaib started.  It is in my best
>interests to try to do things with the Win32 API so that I have to
>change a minimum number of things.

I know we've discussed this before.  It was probably two years ago or
so.  That would illustrate, to me, that hamstringing yourself for some
nebulous future goal is not the best way to accomplish things.  The
project is called Cygwin/Xfree86, after all.

I don't think that impacting the project because you are interested in
providing a fork at some point makes good sense for the project as a
whole.  So, be ready to hear my opinion at random occasions when this
pops up.

It's just like the decision to put a cvs archive for the project on
sourceforge.  That is another one you where you like to remind me about
previous discussions.

cgf