Newbie : XWin, rxvt, gv

After using rxvt without XFree I thought I'd try XFree. I'm amazed. Almost
everything just works, and the bits that don't must be my bad driving. It's
so nice to use gnuplot (which compiled oob) and not wgnuplot, for instance.
Apart from a minor error msg, xdvi simply works. So does latex. I'm
absolutely staggered.

I'm running W98/SE.

I would like to ask a couple of questions:

Q1 of 2.

I start things up with a three-line batch file

    set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
    start XWin -multiwindow
    run rxvt {switches} -e /bin/bash

I'm sorry: I'm completely new to this. are the args to DISPLAY to do with
size and resolution or something else? What is the role of the word "start"?
I ask because on exiting rxvt I always end up with a copy of XWin hanging
around that has to be kill'd through Task Manager. Can I omit the word
start, or if not, should there be a 4th line that carries the sense of "stop
XWin"? Similarly, the word "run". Can I omit this word and just use

    rxvt {switches} -e /bin/bash?

Q2 of 2.

In Feb there were two postings about gv. Currently I use gsview32 from
GSTools, but I really dislike having to "nip outdoors" to use something. Has
anybody successfuly compiled gv-3.5.8 into Cygwin (or later? 3.5.8 is the
most modern I could find).

Thank you very much. Sorry for the very simple-minded nature of these
questions.

Fergus