Re: Cygwin installer failing in Windows 95b

> I'm trying to get Cygwin to install in a 200MHz 96MB, Windows 95b
> machine.
>
> But it always fails at the end with pop up error boxes declaring that it
> can't find a couple of DLLs.

I've now tried downloading the very latest Cygwin and its installer (2.340.2.5) today.

This is even worse than the previous version.

I placed the setup.exe and the packages folder containing the ftp mirror files onto the C:\cyg folder of my Windows 95b machine. About 73MB of files.

I run the setup program and I choose the third option 'install from local directory'.

It then asks for a install directory and I enter c:\cygwin

(I left the 2 other options alone)

Here is where it gets interesting....

On this panel, it says in the title 'Select Local Package Directory'.
But the text in here says "Select a directory where you want setup to store the installation files it downloads. The directory will be created if it does not exist."

Well this is plainly wrong and not very reassuring as I've already downloaded the files in c:\cyg\packages so the setup.exe is NOT going to store the installation files there is it? :-)
And of course the files do already exist.
So this looks like an bug in the Installer program.

But anyway I enter here c:\cyg\packages and click on NEXT.

The process simply ends within 1 sec from clicking on NEXT.

I look in c:\cygwin and there is a c:\cygwin\etc with a single file in it called timestamp.

So it's not getting very far.

I thought perhaps it had a corrupt setup.ini file which is in c:\cyg\packages\ftp%3a%2f%2fcygwin.mirrors.pair.com\ so I deleted it.

Now, the installer ran further and presented me with a Install list window but most of the items I had downloaded are missing from this list window. It now just lists +All and that only has +Misc within it (category view).

But the release directory is 73MB in size!
So why isn't it listing everything?

Bizarre.

Anyone know how this Installer works?

P.S.
I did delete the 'current user' and 'local machine', Cygnus Software registry keys before running the Installer.

My brain is now hurting so I'm going to lie down....