Re: PseudoColor and error with XAllocColorCells()

Céline,

celine.renard@actemium.com wrote:
Hello,

I test a software developped on Unix/Linux. This soft is a client of X
server.
So, I want to test the server Cygwin/XWin on  Windows NT4. (Actually, we
have Exceed, and all is OK)
This soft needs to allocate 72 colors and these colors must be writable.
So, the X server must be in PseudoColor
To do that, I put in the file startxwin.bat : start XWin -fullscreen -depth
8
The xdpyinfo returns :
     1 visual
     class is PseudoColor
     depth is 8 planes
     available colormap entries is 256

And I run my program on Unix platform and the display is my PC NT4
I cant allocate my 72 colors with the function XAllocColorCells()
I can only allocate 6 colors with this function.
Can anybody help me and  tell me why ?

Did you write this software yourself? What you probably want to do is create your own color map first, then alloc the colors in that new colormap. It sounds like you are trying to alloc the colors in the default colormap, which have already been allocated.

I'm not really an X Client developer, so I must ask the other folks: Is it even possible to create a private colormap? I assume that it is, because I had to implement the code to switch between colormaps when clients specified that they used a non-default colormap.