Help me analyze my configuration

Dear experts,

I am running cygwin-xfree on a Windows 2000 PC connecting using XDMCP to
the Gnome desktop on a PC running Red Hat 9. The W2K PC is an Iwill KA266-R
motherboard, 850MHz Athlon, 512M DDR. The Linux PC is a dual Athlon MP 1GHz,
768M DDR. They are connected on a local 100 Mb ethernet LAN, that caries no
other traffic of any significance. I don't believe my problem is transport
related - bear with me, please.

Drawing / updating the xfree screen on the W2K PC is _much_ slower than any
other display activity on that PC. The Video card is a ATI Radeon 8500DV in
1280x1024 16bit mode.

To isolate the display speed from network speed, I look at the time it takes
to redraw the part of the xfree screen that was hidden when I had a native
W2K window (Windows Explorer for instance) on top of it for a short time.
No changes to the xfree screen content in between.

This takes about 1 to 2 seconds (hard to be precise just by watching), but
much slower than drawing or restoring a native W2k window would be. Am I
right in my assumption that this is only a function of my display speed?
And is this slower than it should be?

I am perfectly willing to accept this is due to something I have done wrong,
or some issue with my combination of hardware. I have re-installed W2K to
get a clean baseline, leaving out DirectX for now, in case that matters,
but other than a small general speedup that one would expect from a clean
install, that made no difference.

Please help me understand how I can analyze where my bottleneck is?

Much obliged, Willem Riede.